A delicious roast dinner does not have to wait for Sunday. This garlic roast beef and roasted vegetables can be a wonderful week night meal for your family. You can prep everything at once and it will cook in the oven while you do something else.
An eye round roast can be very economical to use if you purchase a large pack at either BJ's, Costco or Sam's Clubs. I buy the approximate 10 lb. packages and cut it into thirds for my family. Then double wrap and put in freezer bags to store in the freezer. Also, remember to date the bag or container; you think you'll remember, but if you're anything like me, you probably won't.
How to make a garlic eye round roast..
- Select an eye round roast that has some fat over the top of it. It is a fairly lean cut of beef without much marbling throughout. The fat on top will help the roast from drying out and give extra flavor.
- Preheat oven to 450°. You will cook the roast at that high temperature for about 15-20 minutes to sear the fat on top which will help seal the juices in the roast. You can quickly pan sear the roast before you put it in the oven, but the oven technique works fine.
- While oven is preheating, slice some garlic cloves. Make little holes on top of roast and put the garlic pieces in them. If you don't have any garlic on hand, you can sprinkle garlic powder over top and rub it into the fat. Season with salt and pepper and it's ready to go in the oven.
- Roast at 450°F for about 15-20 minutes and then turn the temperature down to 325°F and continue roasting for another hour or until a meat thermometer registers 140° for medium rare.
- Let the eye round roast sit for at least 10 minutes to allow the juices to absorb into the meat. If you slice it too soon, you will lose them onto the platter.
What side dishes are delicious to eat with the garlic roast beef?
Many people like to have mashed potatoes with roast beef, but little baby potatoes roasted along with the beef is a great side dish as well. You don't have to peel them, just give the potatoes a good scrub, coat with olive oil and sprinkle with your preferred seasonings.
You can roast the potatoes along with the beef and they will get a bit caramelized and absorb some of the garlic beef juices and flavor.
Add a few more veggies and your meal is complete.
You can roast some vegetables during the last 15 -20 minutes while the beef is cooking. Check out my post on roasted veggies. They are delicious! If you don't have any fresh vegetables on hand, you certainly can steam or microwave some frozen or canned veggies to complete your meal.
If you like gravy with your roast, you can easily make it right in the roasting pan:
- make a slurry of flour or cornstarch and some water. Add to the pan juices and stir to combine. Add a cup or more of beef broth to the pan, bring to a boil and simmer for a few minutes to thicken.
I hope you enjoy this very tasty roast beef dinner. Just remember two people eating garlic cancel each other out!Print
A Sunday best roast beef dinner you can make on a weeknight. A lean eye round with your choice of vegetables is easy and full of flavor.
- 3 lbs . eye round beef roast
- 3 -4 cloves of garlic
- 2- 3 lbs. yellow baby potatoes
- 1- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- seasoning/salt & pepper
- 2 tablespoons flour/cornstarch mixed with 1 cup of water
- 1 cup beef broth
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Make little holes on top of beef, slice garlic and put into the holes.
- Season top of roast with salt and pepper
- Prepare potatoes- wash thoroughly, coat with oil and sprinkle with your choice of seasonings.
- Put roast in oven for about 15 minutes, then turn down temperature to 325°.
- Prepare additional vegetables of choice.
- Put potatoes in roasting pan and continue to roast the beef with potatoes until meat thermometer registers 140°F. (approximately 50 -60 minutes longer)
- During the last few minutes of roasting the beef, cook additional vegetables, either roasting, microwaving or steaming. Keep warm while making slicing beef and making gravy.
- Let eye round rest on platter while you make the gravy. Make a slurry of flour and water. Stir into pan juices on stovetop, if pan can go on stovetop, or use a saucepan. Add the beef broth and bring to a boil, simmer for a few minutes until thickened.
- Remove garlic pieces from roast, thinly slice and serve.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Bake
Keywords: Garlic Eye Round Roast Dinner