This keto chocolate custard is the most deep, dark and decadent dessert that just happens to be low carb. It is rich and creamy and since it is baked in individual cups, it is the perfect portion size. It was inspired by Martha Stewart's recipe, but of course made without sugar.
How to make keto chocolate custard?
- To make the custard, you will bring the half and half and vanilla just to a boil. The custard should start to bubble but not come to a full rolling boil. Turn off stove and remove from heat.
- Melt chocolate in a microwave safe dish in 30 second increments. Stir in between and continue to heat until fully melted. You can also melt the chocolate in a double boiler over boiling water on the stovetop.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the egg yolks, salt and sugar substitute until they lighten in color.
- Whisk the egg yolk mixture into the melted chocolate. Then very gradually, whisk in the hot half and half. You want to do this very slowly so as not to scramble the egg yolks.
- Use a spoon to skim off any foam that remains on the surface.
- Divide among 4 (6 oz.) ramekins, custard cups or mini mason jars.
- Boil about 4 cups of water.
- Place cups in an ovenproof container. Pour in the boiled water to about an inch up on the custard cups.
- Bake in a 325°F oven for 40-45 minutes. The custards should still have a little jiggle and will fully set when completely cooled.
Some helpful tips for baking custard.
- If your custard has a crack on the top, it could mean it was overbaked. Make sure there is some movement in the center of the custard when you remove it from the oven. It will continue to set as it cools.
- The water bath also helps to ensure even temperatures as the custard bakes.
- If you get some pieces of cooked egg in the liquid custard, just strain it through a mesh strainer before baking. Always pour the hot half and half very slowly into the egg mixture to temper the eggs. This will prevent cooked eggs.
- The custard cups are extra delicious topped with some keto whipped cream and shaved sugar free chocolate.
If you tried this recipe, I'd love to know how you liked it. Please leave a comment below. 😊
Some other delicious desserts you may want to try:
Low Carb Baked Cauliflower Rice PuddingPrint
Keto Chocolate Custard
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 40
- Total Time: 50
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: French
This is a rich chocolate dessert that just happens to be keto. It's smooth and creamy like a pudding but more decadent. These little cups of custard are the perfect portion for any low carb treat.
- 1 ½ cups half and half
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 3 large egg yolk
- ¼ cup sugar substitute ( I use a combo of Monkfruit and Swerve)
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 3 oz. of melted baking dark chocolate bar-sugar substitute ( I used Lakanto)
- Preheat ovento 325F.
- Boil about 4 cups of water. set aside
- In a medium pan on the stovetop, bring half and half and vanilla just to a boil. You will know it is just about to boil because the heated half and half will coat the spoon. Remove pan from the heat.
- Whisk the egg yolks, sugar substitute and salt in a bowl. Continue to quickly whisk the mixture until it lightens in color.
- Stir in the melted chocolate until smooth.
- Whisk the hot half and half very gradually into the chocolate mixture.*
- Pour custard into four six oz. ramekin or custard cups.
- Place the cups into an oven safe casserole or baking pan
- Put the pan with custard cups in the preheated oven and pour the boiled water into the baking pan. the water should come up about halfway up the side of the cups.
- Bake the custard cups for approximately 40-45 minutes. The custard should look just set. It should have some movement to the custard and it will set up as it cools.
*If you pour the hot half and half into the chocolate mixture too fast, you may lightly cook some of the egg. If you see bits of solid egg in your custard, simply pour the mixture through a strainer to remove the cooked egg.
**Baking the custard in a hot water bath helps ensure an even temperature while baking. Your custard will be smooth and creamy without any cracks.
Keywords: Keto Chocolate Custard
Kalyn Belsha says
Love these mini custards!