For those of us who are trying to keep our carb intake fairly low probably miss good tasting bread, biscuits and bagels. With some special ingredients and creative baking, you can still enjoy a low carb bagel breakfast sandwich.
According to WebMD, breakfast kick starts your metabolism, helping you burn calories throughout the day. It gives us energy to help focus on work or school. Many people skip breakfast because they are in a hurry to get going out the door. These low carb bagels freeze very well. You should precut them and put in refrigerator overnight to defrost or a quick minute in the microwave. You can then spread the bagel with peanut or almond butter, cream cheese or make some eggs for a low carb bagel breakfast sandwich.
Now, these do not taste like a typical New York bagel; I should know since I'm from New York and we are pretty picky about our bagels. But when you haven't had bread in quite awhile and really miss a breakfast sandwich, these bagels are a delicious alternative!
The ingredients in the low carb breakfast bagels are:
- coconut flour
- baking powder
- mozzarella cheese
- cream cheese
- seasonings for topping for bagels
Some info about coconut flour bagels:
I have made both almond flour and coconut flour bagels and do prefer the ones made from coconut flour. They have a lighter texture and taste. Coconut flour bagels are also less calories than those made from almond flour.
For anyone concerned about the flavor of coconut flour being sweet or too powerful, I will say the bagels definitely do not have a sweet flavor. And if you use some seasoning on top, that would surely tone down any coconut flavor you might detect.
How to make low carb bagels:
- Mix the dry ingredients together and set aside
- Melt the cheeses in the microwave on high for a minute. Stir the cheese together and microwave for another minuter. Stir again. If the cheese is not completely melted, you can heat for another 30 seconds.
- Add the eggs, butter and dry ingredients to the melted cheese mixture. Use a sturdy wooden spoon or your wet hands to thoroughly blend all ingredients together. The dough will feel a bit wet and sticky but should come together to form a large ball of dough.
- Divide the dough into 6 separate small balls. I rolled each piece on a silicone mat to about a 6-8 inch log. Then I connected the dough to form a bagel shaped circle.
Mix the seasonings together for topping of bagels. I like the Everything But the Bagel mix, but I have also made my own with dried onion, garlic, sesame seed, salt & pepper. Lightly brush bagels with butter, turn the bagels over into the seasonings and then press down to help it adhere to the tops. *see note
You will bake the bagels at 400°F for 12-16 minutes.
These are a really good substitute and make a nice bagel breakfast sandwich. I like to lightly sauté a slice or two of Virginia Ham and then cook an over easy fried egg. It's delish and very filling!Print
For those of us who miss their morning breakfast sandwich while trying to keep our carb intake low, this bagel breakfast is perfect.
- ½ cup coconut flour
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon xantham gum powder
- 2 ½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons melted butter + 1 tablespoon melted for brushing on top of bagel
- 3 tablespoons of seasoning of your choice; (I use Everything but the bagel seasoning)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with either parchment paper or silicone mat.
- Sift the dry ingredients into a small bowl and set aside.
- Melt mozzarella and cream cheese in the microwave on high for one minute. Stir cheeses and microwave for another minute. Stir, microwave another 30 seconds if needs to completely melt together.
- Using a sturdy spoon, mix in beaten eggs, butter and dry ingredients mixture. Stir together until a dough begins to form. It will seem very wet and eggy for a bit, then the dough will start to hold together as you continue to stir the batter. The dough will be wet and sticky.
- Divide dough into 6 pieces. Using lightly wet hands, roll each piece into a log shape about 6-8 inches long. Then connect ends together to form a bagel shape.
- Place bagels on lined baking sheet. Lightly brush each bagel with melted butter and then dip the tops into the seasoning.
- Bake at 400°F for about 12-16 minutes or until lightly browned
*You do not have to brush bagels with butter before pressing into seasonings. I have done it both ways. The seasoning will stick either way and you can save an extra step and some calories. The butter just gives a bit more flavor.
*The bagels will keep at room temperature in an airtight container for about 3 days.
* *These bagels store beautifully in the freezer. It's best to preslice them and keep in freezer bags or glass containers.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Bake
Keywords: Low Carb Bagel Breakfast Sandwich