This sugar free pumpkin pudding trifle is an easy dessert to make for the Holidays. Creamy pumpkin pudding is layered with whipped cream and a low carb pound cake. The presentation is beautiful and your guests will love the seasonal flavors.
Why this recipe is just so good...
- Quick dessert - you can make all the components of the trifle separately and refrigerate for later or put it all together at once. It is perfect for a make ahead dessert since it tastes even better the next day after the flavors have melded together.
- It has all the warm, spicy flavors of the fall. And it is a delicious option for your Thanksgiving dessert if you don't want to make a pumpkin pie or need another dessert to serve.
- You would never know this rich, creamy, decadent trifle is a low carb, keto friendly dessert. My tasters could not tell that the pudding was sugar free.
- If you want more creamy pumpkin desserts, try my Keto pumpkin mousse pie, keto pumpkin curd donuts or keto pumpkin cheesecake.
- The layers for the trifle are pumpkin pudding, whipped cream and pound cake. If you don't want to make a pound cake from scratch, there are some other options listed below.
- We are taking a little shortcut by making the pumpkin pudding with a box of instant sugar free vanilla pudding. It is mixed with pure pumpkin puree, spices, heavy cream and unsweetened coconut milk.
Powdered sugar substitute, heavy cream and vanilla extract is needed for the whipped cream.
- Ingredients needed for the pound cake are almond and coconut flour, sour cream, heavy cream, eggs, sweetener, vanilla, baking powder, xanthan gum.
How to make a sugar free pumpkin pudding trifle?
- Make the pudding: Mix together the pumpkin puree, heavy cream, coconut milk and pumpkin pie spice. Whisk for 2 minutes or until thickened. Store covered in the refrigerator until needed.
- Make the whipped cream: Beat the heavy cream, coconut milk, sweetener and vanilla together until soft peaks form. Put in the refrigerator until ready to put the trifle together.
- Make the cake: One of the layers of the pumpkin trifle is my keto pound cake, but without the orange flavoring.
- Whisk the wet ingredients in a bowl. Sift together the dry ingredients.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients together.
- Pour into a loaf pan lined with parchment paper that is lightly sprayed with non stick baking spray.
- Bake in preheated 350°F oven for 50-55 minutes or until wooden skewer or long toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes in the pan, then remove cake to a cooling rack.
- After fully cooled, cut pound cake into 1 inch cubes.
- How to layer a trifle: Place some pound cake cubes on the bottom of a trifle bowl or a large glass bowl.
- Spread some pudding on top. Spoon some whipped cream on the pudding. Then continue layering the trifle and finish with whipped cream. You will probably have about 3 layers. Finish with a sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice on top.
According to Wikipedia, trifle is a layered dessert originally from England. The usual ingredients are a thin layer of lady fingers or sponge cake soaked in sherry with fruit (fresh or jelly), custard and whipped cream layered in that order in a glass dish. "The contents of a trifle are highly variable and many varieties exist. The fruit and sponge layers may be suspended in fruit-flavoured jelly and these ingredients are usually arranged to produce three or four layers."
If you don't want to make a cake from scratch, there are plenty of alternatives. A quick look on Amazon listed tons of sugar free or keto cakes by Pillsbury, King Arthur, Swerve and more! You could also purchase sugar free cookies such as Highkey or Voortman brands. Just crumble them into small to medium pieces to use in the trifle
- When making the pound cake, be sure to sift the almond and coconut flours to get accurate measurements.
- Use room temperature sour cream and eggs for a smooth batter and fluffy cake texture.
- If you have time, cut up the cake ahead of time and leave at room temperature uncovered. Slightly stale cake works best in a trifle.
- The complete trifle will only stay fresh in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. The cake will be very soggy after that. It is not recommended to freeze a trifle.
If you tried and enjoyed this recipe, I'd love if you give it a 5 star rating. This tells me what you like and want to see more of. Thank you!
Try these pumpkin bread and desserts!
This sugar free pumpkin pudding trifle is an easy dessert to make for the Holidays. Creamy sugar free pumpkin pudding is layered with whipped cream and a keto pound cake.
- 1 box sugar free instant vanilla pudding
- 1 15 ounce can (about 2 cups) pure pumpkin puree'
- ¾ cup heavy whipping cream
- ¾ cup unsweetened coconut or almond milk*
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice ( ½ teaspoon cinnamon ½ teaspoon nutmeg)
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup powdered sugar substitute
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 ½ cups fine almond flour, sifted
- ¼ cup coconut flour, sifted
- ⅓ cup granular sugar substitute
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, whisk the pudding mix and heavy cream and the almond or coconut milk for about 2 minutes. It will begin to thicken.
- Stir in the puree and spice and whisk for another minute. Store covered in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Beat the heavy cream in a bowl with a stand or hand mixer until it comes to soft peaks. Sprinkle in the powdered sweetener and vanilla and beat for another minute. Store covered until needed.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper and lightly spray with non stick baking spray.
- Sift together the dry ingredients in a large bowl. In another bowl, whisk the eggs for a minute until frothy. Whisk in the butter, creams and vanilla.
- Pour the egg mixture into the sifted flour mixture. Stir by hand with a wooden spoon or spatula until combined and ingredients are mixed well, about a minute or so.
- Pour cake batter into the pan and bake for 50-55 minutes. Test in the center with a long wooden toothpick or wooden skewer. If it comes out just about clean with no or very minimal crumbs, then the cake is done. Bake a few more minutes if needed.
- Let cool in pan for 5 minutes. Remove to cooling rack to finish cooling.
- Cut cake into 1 inch cubes.*
- Put some of the cake cubes on the bottom of a trifle bowl or large glass bowl.
- Spoon some pudding over the cake.
- Smooth some whipped cream over pudding.
- Continue to layer with cake, pudding, whipped cream for the rest of the trifle. It should be about 3 layers.
- Finish with a light layer of whipped cream and a sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice.
- Cover and refrigerate. Best served about an hour after assembled.*
* If you want the pumpkin pudding to run down the layers as I have pictured, you will have to thin the pudding with more cream, almond or coconut milk. Add a few tablespoons at a time and test for desired consistency.
*If there is time, let the cake cubes sit at room temperature uncovered to get a bit stale. They will remain firmer longer in the trifle.
*The trifle will stay fresh for 2-3 days. After that, the cake will get soggier. It is recommended not to freeze a trifle.
Keywords: make ahead, pudding, whipped cream, pound cake, low carb dessert, sugar free dessert