This quick weeknight meal of keto salisbury steak with red wine gravy tastes like a 'company's coming' dinner. It has the deep, rich flavors of a more complicated recipe. But it's so easy, dinner will be ready in under an hour.
Ingredients for this recipe:
- 80/20% fat ground beef
- parmesan cheese
- medium onion
- hamburger seasoning (or salt, pepper, onion, garlic powders, paprika)
- low sodium beef broth
- bay leaf
- Xanthan Gum
- red wine ( I used Cabernet Sauvignon)
- Combine the ground beef, ketchup, seasonings, egg and cheese.
- Form beef mixture into 6 patties. Set aside.
- Thinly slice the onion. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in large pan and cook onions until golden brown. Remove onions to a small bowl or plate.
- Cook patties on medium heat in 1 tablespoon butter. Turn over after about 5 minutes. Cook the other side until seared and browned. (Meat will not be fully cooked at this point.)
- Remove patties to platter.
- Combine broth, bay leaf and wine; pour into pan. Sprinkle the xanthan gum over broth and bring to a low boil. Turn down to simmer, add patties and onions to pan. Cover and cook about 15 minutes, until beef registers 160°F.
The best ratio of beef to fat for patties as well as for a keto diet is a higher ratio of fat, at least 20%. They will hold together better and will be juicier and more flavorful.
Don't over mix or press down on the patties too much. It is not needed and will lessen the moistness of the pattie.
Wait a few minutes before you turn the Salisbury steaks. Doing so before they have a sear on them, might cause the patties to stick to your pan and crumble.
Is wine keto-friendly?
Cooking with wine in moderation is allowed on a keto diet as long as you choose wisely. Generally the sweeter the wine, the higher the carbs. There is a very interesting article regarding wine and keto on the Atkins website.
For this recipe, we are only using a small amount of a Cabernet Sauvignon. A Merlot would be a low carb option as well. Avoid sweeter wines such as port, sherry and moscato. The wine gives the gravy a richer, more complex flavor. However, if you choose not to use the wine, just add more beef broth.
We had a his and hers meal. I served my husband's salisbury steak with mashed potatoes. I had mine over mashed cauliflower. We also had steamed carrots and broccoli that were seasoned with garlic, salt and pepper. You could also serve with my Easy roasted vegetables. Delicious!
Some other dinners you might enjoy:Print
Keto Salisbury Steak with Red Wine Gravy
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Dinner, Beef
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
These salisbury steak patties are simmered in a rich and savory red wine brown gravy. It is a quick and easy keto meal that is ready to serve in about 30 minutes.
- 1 ½ lbs. ground beef ( I used 80%/20%) *
- ⅓ grated parmesan or romano cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1 TB. hamburger seasoning, (or ½ tsp each of salt, pepper, paprika, onion and garlic powder)
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 3 TBS. butter
- 1 TB no sugar ketchup
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp. arrowroot powder or ¾ tsp. xanthan gum
- 1 ½ cups beef broth, low sodium
- ⅓ cup red wine***
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a large pan. Cook sliced onions until lightly browned. Set aside.
- Combine ground beef, seasoning, ketchup, egg and parmesan. Form into 6 patties.
- Melt the last tablespoon of butter on medium heat in pan and place patties in pan. You can cook the patties in batches if pan is not large enough to cook all at once. Cook for 5 minutes, turn patties and cook on the other side another 5 minutes or until browned. Remove to a plate.
- Combine wine and broth in measuring cup and whisk to combine. Pour into pan and bring to a low boil. Lightly sprinkle the xanthan gum into broth mixture, add the bay leaf and stir to combine.
- Add the patties and onions back to pan.
- Stir well and turn down to simmer, cover pan and cook for 15 minutes or until gravy is thickened and patties register 160°F. If gravy is too thick, add more broth.
* Ground chuck, 80/20 % fat is a great choice of beef for this recipe and while eating keto. It is a juicy blend and very flavorful due to the additional fat in the beef.
** Some excellant low carb choices of red wine that can be used in this recipe are a merlot or Cabernet Sauvignon. If you prefer not to use wine, just add a bit more beef broth.
Keywords: Keto Salisbury Steak with Red Wine Gravy
Leave a Reply