My recipe for slow cooker sweet and spicy teriyaki beef is one of my favorite and reliable recipes to use in my Crockpot. It can take a tougher cut of beef and make it nice and tender. With a more tender cut, well it practically melts in your mouth. Aside from my dishwasher, my Crockpot is my favorite kitchen appliance.
My original slow cooker did not have an automatic "keep warm" setting. So after getting over the fear of leaving a heated appliance on when I left the house, it was always a guess as to whether I would get home in time to shut it off or would the food be overcooked mush?
I love the convenience of the automatic settings and find the temperatures of high and low to be pretty accurate. This sweet and spicy teriyaki beef was done just under 4 hours and I left it on the keep warm setting for another 1 ½ hours and it was perfectly fine.
This meal was so easy, with minimal chopping, gave us leftovers and little clean up. Truly a win-win!
The ingredients include:
- Flank or top round steak
- Cornstarch for thickener
- Olive or vegetable oil to lightly coat the slow cooker
- Soy sauce
- Brown sugar
- Beef broth, stock or brown gravy (this gives the sauce a richer flavor)
- Thai chili sauce or red pepper flakes
- Oyster sauce
- Chopped onion
- Worcestershire sauce
Some other easy dinners you may like to try:Print
This sweet and spicy teriyaki beef is so full of flavor and easy to make. The slow cooker does all the work of tenderizing the meat and blending all the flavors together. It could easily be added to your weekly menu plan.
- 1 ½ - 2 lbs. of flank steak or top round steak (sliced about ¼ inch thick)
- ⅓ cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¾ cup brown sugar ( I used ½ cup sugar substitute and ¼ cup brown sugar)
- 2 tablespoons of thai style chili sauce (or substitute 1 - 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes)
- 1 chopped onion
- 3 teaspoons of oyster sauce (optional, but gives extra flavor)
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1 cup of beef broth, stock or dilute beef gravy
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons ginger
- Put cornstarch in a zipper plastic bag and add beef, shake to lightly coat.
- Drizzle olive oil in bottom of slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, mix all remaining ingredients and pour into slow cooker.
- Add the beef and stir to combine with the sauce.
- Cover and on low for approximately 4 hours. The meat should be fully cooked and tender.
- Serve over rice.
** I served my husband's meal over basmati rice. For mine, I served it over cauliflower rice. It was so delicious I could have just eaten the 'rice' and sauce. It had the right amount of sweetness with some heat to balance the flavor.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: Asian
Keywords: Slow Cooker, teriyaki beef, sweet and spicy