Enjoy a quick weeknight dinner of thinly sliced chicken breasts and delicious roasted vegetables. Boneless chicken cutlets are marinated in Italian herbs and seasonings and baked in the oven.
Why this recipe is just so good....
- This recipe highlights how quick and easy it is to cook chicken breasts in the oven. They cook in 15 minutes!
- Marinating the chicken is the perfect way to add flavor and a juicy texture. We are using Italian herbs but you can change up the flavor by using different seasonings.
- Roasted vegetables are a delicious and healthy choice for a side dish. They just need to be cooked a few minutes before the chicken so that everything is done at the same time. You can also prep the vegetables ahead of time and store covered in the refrigerator for a day or two until ready to cook.
- We eat a lot of chicken around here since it's a low carb and keto protein that is fairly inexpensive. I recommend trying Dutch Oven Chicken Breasts or Dutch Oven Chicken with Vegetables for easy one pot dinners.
Ingredients for the marinade:
- low sodium soy sauce
- balsamic vinegar
- olive oil
- lemon juice
- sugar/sugar substitute
Ingredients for dry rub:
- salt, pepper, rosemary, Italian seasonings, garlic powder, paprika, cayenne
How to make Thin Sliced Chicken Breasts
Place each breast on a cutting board and lightly place one hand on top. With a sharp knife, use your other hand, carefully slice horizontally across the center of the piece of chicken. Each piece will slice in half to about ½" thick. 3 breasts turned into 6 thinly sliced cutlets. You can also purchase thin sliced chicken, although I find it is more expensive.
Tips for Roasting Vegetables
As you can see, we love our roasted vegetables!! We are using all low carb veggies for this recipe. There are carrots, radishes, celery, tomatoes, onions, pickled jalapeno peppers and some roasted red pimento peppers.
You can use all or some of these as you choose. Some other suggestions might be asparagus, green beans, broccoli, cauliflower or brussels sprouts. Make sure to cut the vegetables in similar sizes. Also be aware that some will cook faster than others. For example the cherry tomatoes and pickled jalapeno cook quickly since they are softer.
These vegetables were all roasted at the same time because I didn't mind if some were more browned, caramelized or a bit overcooked. The olive oil and seasonings give them such a delicious flavor, there isn't much you can do, short of burning them, to ruin the taste!
How to bake thin sliced chicken breast
Stir together the marinade ingredients. Set aside about 2-3 tablespoons to brush over vegetables.
Pour marinade over chicken. Refrigerate until ready to cook.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Place vegetables on sheet pan. Brush reserved marinade over vegetables and bake in oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven. Drain chicken from the marinade. Pat the chicken dry and rub the dry seasonings onto both sides. Lower heat to 350°F.
- Put chicken breasts on top of vegetables and bake for about 15 minutes or until a meat thermometer registers 165°F.
- Some people like to poke holes in the chicken before it marinates. I prefer not to pierce the meat since I believe that it defeats the purpose of keeping the chicken juicy, since more juices will be lost.
- You can take a shortcut and use your favorite Italian dressing to marinate the chicken.
If you tried this recipe and enjoyed it, I'd love if you gave it a 5 star rating. This tells me what you like and want to see more of. Thank you!
MORE easy chicken recipes!
You will love this easy recipe for thinly sliced chicken breasts and delicious roasted vegetables. Boneless chicken is marinated in Italian herbs and seasonings and baked in the oven. You can be sure it will be so juicy and full of flavor.
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons sugar/sugar substitute
- 1.75 pounds boneless chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons chicken seasoning*
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning *
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ pound radishes, quartered
- 1 pound baby carrots, sliced in half
- ½ pound cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 6 pickled jalapeños, optional
- ¼ cups red pimento peppers, optional
- Stir together the marinade ingredients and place in large bowl or shallow casserole dish. (Save 2-3 tablespoons for brushing on vegetables.)
- If chicken breasts are thick, slice each one horizontally so they are about ½" thick. *
- Place chicken in marinade and refrigerate until ready to use. (at least 30 minutes, up to overnight)
- Wash, peel, cut vegetables
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Place vegetables on large sheet pan, brush with some marinade and roast for 20 minutes.
- Combine the dry rub ingredients in a small bowl, set aside.
- Remove chicken from refrigerator, drain marinade. Pat chicken dry with paper towel. Pat the dry rub onto both sides of chicken.
- Remove pan from oven. Lower oven temperature to 350°. Place chicken on top of vegetables. Brush more marinade on vegetables.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until meat thermometer registers 165°F.
*Italian seasoning substitute: ½ teaspoon ground basil, ½ teaspoon oregano, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, ½ teaspoon onion powder
*Chicken seasoning substitute: ½ teaspoon rosemary, ½ teaspoon thyme, ½ teaspoon paprika, ½ teaspoon celery salt.
*3 chicken breasts weighing 1 ¾ pounds were sliced and made 6 thin cutlets.
*If you like the chicken to be slightly browned, place pan under the broiler for about two minutes. Watch closely so it doesn't burn.
*Leftover chicken and vegetables will keep covered in the refrigerator for 3 days. You can reheat them in the microwave for 1-2 minutes until hot. Or you can put leftovers in a fry pan with a tablespoon or two of water and cook a few minutes until heated through.
Keywords: chicken cutlets, chicken breast recipe, thin sliced chicken, roasted vegetables, marinate