You can make a rare, juicy, perfectly seasoned flank steak in your air fryer! The marinated beef is tender and flavorful and it cooks in minutes with little clean up. This is a perfect steak to plan for family weeknight dinners or to serve to company as well.
Steak lovers, here is a way to cook steak that is quick and easy but still delivers an absolutely delicious steak! My husband was skeptical since he is a diehard grill lover. The secret is using some some simple ingredients for a marinade that will tenderize the beef. And NOT to overcook the steak.
Why this recipe is just so good....
- You will love how tender and juicy this flank steak is. The marinade is made with a blend of acids and flavorings that tenderize the beef. The longer you marinate the steak, the more the flavor will seep into the meat.
- Cooking it in an air fryer saves you from standing over a BBQ grill or stovetop. It cooks in less than 10 minutes.
- While I love using my cast iron skillet to pan fry steak, that method uses more butter or fat. The air fryer only needs a light spray of some nonstick spray.
- More delicious, quick steak recipes to try are my Air Fryer Steak Bites with Blue Cheese and Air Fryer Ribeye. And my Air Fryer Marinated Mushrooms would be the perfect side dish.
You will need the following ingredients to make this delicious flank steak:
- The key to a great marinade that flavors as well as tenderizes the meat is the addition of fat, acid and salt.
- The marinade for this flank steak includes a store bought balsamic vinegar dressing (needed to use it up), soy sauce, a sweetener, Worcestershire sauce, garlic and seasonings. If not using bottled dressing, use 3 parts olive oil and 1 part vinegar.
- I use a 1 ½ pound flank steak for this recipe. It is a healthy, lower fat cut of meat that lends itself very well to absorb the flavors of the marinade. Because it is a thin, lean steak and tends to be chewier, I would always marinate this type of beef.
- Some optional additions to the marinade is garlic chili sauce for an added spicy kick.
- I also used a new product (to me), the beef and caramelized onion paste. I only use 2 teaspoons and it added a beefy flavor similar to a very rich brown gravy. You could also use the onion bouillon paste for added flavor. These are all optional in the marinade.
- For best results, preheat the air fryer for at least 5 minutes. You want the fryer to be hot when you place the flank steak in it. I also have a "grill" insert but it is not necessary.
- If possible, don't cook the steak beyond medium rare/ medium. It will be much tougher and chewier.
- Always cut a flank steak against the grain. This means when you look down at the steak, you will see clear lines of the meat fibers. Either angle the steak or your knife about 45° and you will be cutting into the meat fibers and this will reduce any toughness.
How to Air Fry Flank Steak
- Stir together the ingredients for the marinade in a small bowl. Place the steak in a zipper style bag or large bowl. Pour marinade over it and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, no longer than 24 hours.
- Drain and discard the marinade when ready to cook. Preheat the air fryer for 5 minutes.
- Dab the steak with paper towels so the meat will sear instead of steaming from too much moisture on the beef.
- Spray a little olive oil spray or other non stick spray on the air fryer basket.
- Cook the flank steak in air fryer basket for 4 minutes at 400°F. Turn the steak and cook for another 4 minutes and check the meat with a thermometer for your preferred doneness.
- Depending on the thickness of the steak, it may need an extra minute or two.
- Take steak out just before it is done and let it rest on a platter. The juices will redistribute before you slice it and be so much more juicy and flavorful.
Flank and skirt steaks are both lean cuts of beef that are very versatile and used in similar ways such as stir fry and fajitas. Flank steaks are a bit leaner and have a thin coat of marble fat, while skirt steak and strip steaks usually have membranes that could make the meat tougher.
If you do use these one of these different types of steak, just make sure to slice them as thin as possible when you serve it and always marinate them.
When the meat reaches an internal temperature of: 120-125°F-rare, 130-135°F-medium rare, 140-145°F-medium, 150-160°F-medium well.
Remember that the steak will continue to cook a little bit so take that into account when you remove the meat from the air fryer.
Food52 has an interesting way of determining whether a steak is done. Your cheek mimics medium rare, chin is like medium and your forehead is similar to well done. I've also heard that your palm under the thumb feels like a rare steak. Truthfully, I'd rather use a meat thermometer!
Try these other delicious dinner meal ideas!
If you tried this recipe I'd love if you'd give it a 5 star rating. This tells me what recipes you like and want to see more of. 😁Print
You can make a rare, juicy and flavorful flank steak in your air fryer! Marinate the beef and watch it carefully while it cooks for a few minutes and and easy, healthy dinner is ready!
- 1 ½ lbs. flank steak
- ¼ cup low sodium soy sauce
- ¼ Balsamic or Italian dressing
- ¼ cup brown sugar, regular or sugar substitute
- 2 teaspoons garlic paste or 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons chili garlic sauce or ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon beef paste or bouillon * see notes
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Stir together the marinade ingredients in a bowl or zipper style bag. Place steak in bag or bowl and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, no longer than 24 hours.
- When ready to cook, remove steak to room temperature for about 3o minutes, discard marinade.
- Preheat air fryer to 400°F for 5 minutes.
- Spray the interior surface or grill insert with non stick oil spray.
- Cook one side of steak for 4 minutes. Flip over and cook for another 3 minutes and test with meat thermometer. Cook for 1-2 additional minutes as needed. *
- Remove steak to platter and let it rest for 5-10 minutes to redistribute the juices. Slice against the grain to serve.
*I used a flavoring paste of beef and onions in the marinade. I like that it adds to the beefy flavor. You also don't have to use the bouillon, it is optional.
*For a low carb marinade, use a sugar substitute.
*Bring meat to room temperature when ready to cook. Don't reuse the marinade since it had raw meat in it.
*Make sure to preheat the air fryer before you put the steak in to cook.
*Let flank steak rest for 5 minutes before slicing against the grain.
Keywords: flank steak, marinated beef