These Jerk Chicken Wings are just layered in flavors. Marinated in spices that are favorites of Jamaican style cooking. Make it as spicy as you'd like and add in cooling tangy lime juice for a very smokey, flavorful meal.
Jerk chicken wings is a recipe that is based on a Jamaican style of cooking. The seasonings are spicy and smokey and can be a dry rub or part of a liquid marinade.
How to make the marinade?
You will need:
- onion powder
- garlic powder
- fresh or ground ginger
- brown sugar (or sugar substitute)
- Habanero sauce ( instead of traditional Scotch Bonnet pepper)
- lime juice
- olive oil
- Combine all the spices, seasonings, lime juice, oil, Habanero sauce, sugar and vinegar. Whisk together well.
- Please note: Habanero sauce is being used as a substitute for traditional Scotch Bonnet peppers in the marinade. This sauce has a range of heat in it. If you purchase it, read the label and see if it is combined with other ingredients. That will determine how much you will use. In general, when using spicy ingredients, always start with the lesser amounts, taste test, and add more as needed.
- Put chicken wings in a zipper style bag and pour marinade over them.
- Refrigerate at least 2 hours or up to 6 hours. Don't marinate longer or the acid from lime juice can start to break down the meat and make the wings a bit mushy.
- This article from Bon Appetit discusses length of time to marinate foods.
How to bake wings in the oven?
- When you are ready to bake the wings, remove them from the bag and throw away the leftover marinade.
- Lightly spray a cooking rack with non stick spray so the wings don't stick to it.
- Place wings on a rack on top of a baking sheet.
- Bake in a preheated 425°F oven for 20 minutes. Flip wings over and bake for another 20 minutes or until chicken registers 165°F on a meat thermometer.
- If you want the wings extra crispy, you can put them under the broiler for 2-3 minutes. Watch them carefully so they don't burn.
Helpful cooking tips:
- A dozen wings weigh about 2 pounds. This will help determine how many to buy if it is for a snack, party or meal. For a main appetizer or meal, you would need approximately 6-8 pieces or 3-4 whole chicken wings.
- We used both the drummette, (meatier, looks like a mini drumstick) and the wingette (the flatter part). Some people like to remove the tips from the wingette as well.
- After you remove the wings from marinade, lightly pat them dry with a paper towel. This will help make them crispier. Throw away any leftover marinade.
- You can prep the marinade up to 3 days ahead, store in covered container in the refrigerator.
- Don't marinate the chicken wings longer than 6 hours.
We like to serve our wings with some creamy coleslaw. It goes great with the wings and cools down the heat. Some other suggestions for side dishes are mango salsa, red beans and rice or fried plantains.
Some other chicken recipes you may want to try:Print
Baked Jerk Chicken Wings
- Prep Time: 2 hours 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 2 hours 50 minutes
- Yield: 24 wings 1x
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Jamaican
These Jerk Chicken Wings are marinated with smokey, spicy seasonings and tangy lime juice. Baked in the oven until perfectly crispy, they are a great choice for parties or family dinner.
- 3 pounds chicken wings, separated into drummettes and flat tips (about 20 pieces)
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 -2 teaspoons habanero pepper sauce *
- ⅓ cup fresh lime juice, (about 2 large limes)
- 2 teaspoons fresh grated ginger, or ½ teaspoon ground
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar ( I used Swerve sugar substitute)**
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoons vinegar
- Place chicken wings in a zipper style plastic bag.
- Stir together all spices, habanero sauce, lime juice, vinegar and oil. Pour over chicken wings.
- Place in refrigerator and let marinate for at least 2 hours or up to 6 hours.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Lightly spray a cooking rack with non stick spray. Remove wings from marinade and place on a rack over a large baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes and flip the wings over and continue baking for another 20 minutes.
- If you want the skin to be extra crispy, you can place the wings under the broiler for 2-3 minutes.
- Check chicken wings with meat thermometer. The wings are done at 165°F.
- We are keeping the wings lower carb and using brown sugar substitute. You can use regular brown sugar, it won't affect the marinade.
- Habanero sauce brands vary in their spiciness/heat level. Always start with the lowest amount and taste the marinade. You can always add more if you like it spicier.
- Make sure to lightly pat the wings dry after you have removed them from marinade. This will help make them crispy in the oven.
Keywords: Jerk Chicken Wings
Leave a Reply