Keto Frittata is a hearty egg casserole cooked in a cast iron skillet or other oven-safe fry pan. It is filled with sausages, savory vegetables and lots of melty cheese that your family will enjoy for breakfast or weekend brunch. Add a salad or some delicious rolls or muffins and your frittata will be perfect for a light, healthy supper.
Why this recipe is just so good....
- Frittatas are a great way to use leftover vegetables, meats or cheeses. You can change up the flavor by adding different spices.
- It is a quick, weeknight meal or delicious brunch. Just a bit of chopping and then it is ready in less than 30 minutes.
- Save time by prepping some ingredients ahead of time. Beat the eggs and store in a airtight container in the refrigerator. Chop and store the vegetables in the refrigerator and measure out the cheese and store that as well.
Ingredient notes & substitutions
- This recipe uses lots of eggs and we love that they are a healthy, low calorie form of high protein and are very filling.
- The beauty of frittatas is that they are so versatile. We are using Italian sausage but you can substitute different meats such as bacon, ham, chorizo or turkey sausage.
- For the vegetables, we chose tomato, onion and yellow bell pepper. But you can try broccoli, spinach, kale, mushrooms, asparagus or leeks.
- The seasonings can also be changed to fit your preference. If you're looking for a Mexican flavor, try some chili powder or cumin. Do you like Spanish seasonings? Add a bit of paprika, garlic or saffron.
According to Wikipedia, a frittata is similar to an omlette in that they are both an egg based dish cooked in a frying pan or skillet. The frittata, which has a deeper filling, is cooked more slowly and finished in an oven. Whereas an omlette is folded over in the pan to finish.
A quiche is a French egg dish with a pastry crust that is cooked in an oven. Keto and low carb recipes do have crustless quiches, which would be similar to a frittata, but they are usually cooked in a pie plate, not cooked in a skillet on the stovetop. My crustless quiche has broccoli and sun-dried tomato in it and cooks very quickly!
The frittata is a very hearty egg casserole for breakfast or brunch. You can add some low carb berries alongside if you choose. For dinner, I would add a small salad such as my Butter lettuce salad or a Red lettuce salad.
If you prefer have some bread alongside your frittata, my Keto rolls or Keto cornbread muffins would be delicious with this meal.
How to make the frittata
- Fry the sausage in the olive oil over medium heat in a cast iron skillet. Remove to a bowl and fry the vegetables in the drippings.
- Pour in the beaten egg mixture, cheese and seasonings into the skillet. Add the tomatoes and the cooked sausage. Stir and cook for about 4 minutes when you see the edges start to brown.
- Finish baking the frittata in the preheated oven for 10-15 minutes until light brown and eggs are set, not jiggly.
- When substituting vegetables, make sure they are all cut in similar sizes so that they finish cooking at the same time. Also, fry the harder vegetables before softer ones like mushrooms.
- You will know the frittata is done cooking if you cut a thin slit in the center and there is no runny egg.
- Let the frittata set on a cooling rack for 5 minutes before serving.
If you tried and enjoyed this recipe, I'd love if you came back and gave it a 5 star rating. This tell me what you like and want to see more of. Thank you!Print
Keto Frittata is a hearty egg dish filled with sausages, savory vegetables and lots of melty cheese. It's a healthy meal your family will enjoy for breakfast or brunch.
- 3 sweet Italian sausage links, chopped *
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow, red or green bell pepper, seeds removed, finely diced
- 1 small yellow onion, finely diced
- ½ cup fire roasted canned diced tomatoes, drained*
- 10 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup of shredded cheese *
- ¼ heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon each salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Heat a cast iron or other oven safe skillet over medium heat. Pour in olive oil to heat.
- Saute' the sausage until brown. Remove to bowl. Leave the drippings in the pan.
- Fry the pepper and onion in the skillet until softened. Add the tomatoes and sausage back to pan.
- Stir the beaten eggs, cheese and seasonings together in a bowl and add into the skillet with the sausage and vegetables, stirring to combine over low-medium heat.
- Cook for about 4 minutes. You will see the edges of frittata start to set up along the edge of the skillet.
- Carefully place cast iron skillet in preheated oven. Bake for approximately 10-15 minutes or until it is light brown and eggs are set. *
- You can also cut a small slit in the middle of frittata to make sure there isn't any runny egg.
- Remove to a cooling rack for about 5 minutes to let it set before serving.
- You will see that the frittata has puffed up while cooking. As it cools, it will settle and not be as puffy.
* Instead of Italian sausage, you can use chorizo, turkey sausage or ham.
*Some other vegetables to use might be spinach, mushrooms, broccoli, leeks or asparagus.
*I used a Monterey Jack shredded cheese for this recipe but you can use cheddar, parmesan,
*If you don't have an oven-proof skillet use a 9 x 13 baking dish that has been lightly sprayed with non stick baking spray.
* Covered leftovers will keep for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
Keywords: baked eggs, low carb breakfast, keto casserole, cast iron skillet egg casserole